9.0 base.txz ftp download time out

Kevin Oberman kob6558 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 23:58:44 UTC 2012

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 2:08 AM, Fbsd8 <fbsd8 at a1poweruser.com> wrote:
> I have a scripted ftp download for 8.x and 9.0 distribution files.
> When I target 8.x releases it downloads the multiple distribution files
> without any problems. To get the complete group takes about 20 minutes and
> ends cleanly.
>
> But when I try to fetch the 9.0 base.txz file it says 100% completed and
> then times out. It also runs about 20 minutes just to download the
> single file. I do get the base.txz file downloaded but it ends uncleanly
> saying it timed out.
>
> All the mirrors issue standard login messages saying there are
> restrictions in effect. My question is there some restriction about time
> allowed per file downloaded? And now that the layout of the 9.0
> distribution files has changed to a large file compared to many small
> files in a directory as for 8.0 is this causing the base.txz file
> download to time out? IE: does the ftp restrictions need to be changed
> for the new 9.0 distribution file?
>
> Here is log of my ftp run.

This is a non-answer as I have not seen this, but have you tried
bittorrent? For this sort of thing it is vastly faster than ftp. If
you have a fast connection to the Internet, you will be amazed by the
speed.
http://torrents.freebsd.org:8080

If you need a client, I can recommend azureas and deluge from ports.
(Actually, it's been a while since I used deluge, but it worked last I
tried. Both are in ports/net-p2p.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com