NICs not in GENERIC

Wed Feb 22 08:30:26 UTC 2012

Quoting Navdeep Parhar <np at FreeBSD.org> (from Wed, 22 Feb 2012
01:55:40 +0000):

> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 05:44:01PM -0700, Scott Long wrote:

>> > No specific reason for these two:

>> > But I do prefer to load them as modules (and as late as possible --
>> > after sysctl.conf has been processed and any nmbclusters, nmbjumboXX
>> > settings have taken affect).
>> >
>> > Other than root over NFS, is there any reason to have NIC drivers in
>> > GENERIC?
>> >

>> GENERIC is the kernel profile that's used during installation, and the
>> installer (at one point in time) supported installing over NFS and FTP.
>
> If the installer itself can come up without the NIC driver it should be
> able to load any NIC driver KLD it wants and then reach the "install
> media" (NFS, FTP, etc.) over the network.  Or is it that the installer's
> root fs didn't have any KLDs back then?

Do we have support for that in our installer?

Anyway, the case where a cxgb* NIC is the only or preferred NIC (no
idea if such systems exist) and the admin wants to net-boot into the
installer is an use-case we should not overlook.

BTW: I prefer to load a lot via modules myself, and I want to get a
modular kernel config into FreeBSD. The work on the modular kernel
config let me discover those NICs which are not in GENERIC. Apart from
that only WAN/leased-line/pseudo-NICs and 2 wireless drivers which
need firmware from ports are not in GENERIC.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Bill Dickey is learning me his experience.
		-- Yogi Berra in his rookie season