Packages for Current ( 10.0 )

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 05:04:46 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 11:25 PM, Mark Linimon <linimon at lonesome.com> wrote:

> The portmgr team has not yet started regular package builds for -current.
> We are working on re-allocating some resources to be able to do so.
>
> Note, however, that with -current being an early branch of a new major
> version, that the src that we are building against is changing rapidly.
> My personal recommendation would be that if you want prebuilt packages,
> you stay with -stable branches, unless you are particularly interested
> in helping to test the state of -current.
>
> mcl

I would be very happy I can contribute anything to development of FreeBSD .

As I am always  writing about importance of testing , in the same manner ,
I wish to test new developments to help to isolate problems , if I can .

If there appears an agenda of testing problems and explicit instructions
how to
apply tests , me and other persons may apply them and report the results .

In a message ( I do not remember its author's name  ) it is said that there
is no a
farm of FreeBSD testing machines .

If a web page is designed for testing with the goal and structure as
described above
it may be very useful and it may off load some tasks directly carried by
the developers .
Such a help will be very useful because the developers will be able to
allocate more time to improve missing features .

Please see my message for details :

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-performance/2012-January/004536.html

I have time and usable computer(s) for testing .
I do not know FreeBSD internals very well .
I can apply test(s) and report the results .
I do not know very well scripting facilities of FreeBSD to design and
implement such a testing web
site pages and reporting by such scripts , but I can read and apply their
instructions .

I think that there will be many other volunteers to do such helps .

If we can generate such a testing ecological system , I think , FreeBSD
development will benefit from it very much .

There is some need to include relevant facilities into FreeBSD supplied
services , such as

possibility of defining distinct monitors for stdin , stdout , stderr ,
besides serial consoles in loader.conf ;
an easy facility to divert outputs of stdout and stderr into files to
transmit them to testing site .
Generation of XML files to obtain testing results directly processability
by scripts ,

and other required modifications for testing applied promptly .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk