x220 notes

matt sendtomatt at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 05:37:29 UTC 2012

On 02/12/12 12:29, Hannes Mehnert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently got a X220 and installed -CURRENT (with kib's 13.1 patch) on
> it - let me add some notes on this thread.
>
> On 10/17/2011 03:53, Matt wrote:
>> On 09/28/11 16:01, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> (there's a pr about that kern/164538)
>

>> I'm not sure if I mentioned this in another post, but I can confirm that
>> adjusting brightness in ibm_acpi for me results in corrupting the fan
>> speed, which makes me think that addresses have changed, widths/extents
>> have changed, or something else is different. For what it's worth,
>> thinkpad-acpi in Linux does this just fine, although I haven't
>> determined if it's through the EC or ACPI...I am thinking EC however.
>>
>> I have a feeling the answer to brightness (aside from KMS patch for X,
>> which is seperate) might be comparing changelogs for thinkpad ec
>> handlers on a platform that works like Linux...the code looks mostly
>> similar...can anyone confirm if Open/NetBSD have issues with the
>> backlight on these SandyBridge thinkpads?
> The brightness work fine on Linux, but not on OpenBSD(-CURRENT).
>
> But on OpenBSD xbacklight (which uses randr) works to set the brightness
> once in X. This unfortunately does not work on FreeBSD (receiving "No
> outputs have backlight property" when running xbacklight).
>

> Cheers,
>
> Hannes
I had to pause with FreeBSD on my x220 until recently, as it took a
rather unfortunate dive off an eight foot ladder.
The great news is that the laptop does well with such a drop onto a
concrete floor.
The bad news is that the hard drive does not!

So I'm going to start over with the newer Konstantin patch and 10-current.

Maybe OpenBSD has a defined quirk or a different way of querying ACPI
display features that is avoiding a quirk or "new way of doing things"
at lenovo. "Our" acpi video kernel module does attach, but some data
looked bogus. Whatever you do don't set debug.acpi.reset_video! It
required removing the battery, although if you need an emergency
discotheque, it might suffice.

Matt