VirtualBox: Eating up 100% CPU, freezing Windows 7

Kevin Oberman kob6558 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 04:18:34 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 12:54 AM, Hartmann, O.
<ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> I discover that when running Windows 7 in a VirtualBox On FreeBSD 10
> (r238968: Wed Aug 1 14:26:40 CEST 2012), VBox is most recent from the
> ports, that the VirtualBox eats up 100% CPU time and freezes Windows 7
> for more than a minute. For a minute or so, I can work, then, the freeze
> occurs again.
>
> I can't see this behaviour with a Ubuntu Guest on the same box. Is there
> Windows 7 specifica to be aware of?

I am seeing the same thing. Also Win7 guest with Windows showing idle
process at 99%, but my system is showing VB at 100%. The VM is only
running a single CPU, so FreeBSD is still running OK, but the Win7
system seems to freeze up periodically.

9.1-PRERELEASE on amd64 updated yesterday (though it has been this way
since VB was updated to 4.1.18. Guest additions for 4.1.18
installed.All ports current. I'm thinking of backing off to 4.1.16.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com