Mounting removable devices

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 23:48:21 UTC 2012

Dear All ,

To mount removable devices , a user ( NOT root ) requires the following
parameter

vfs.usermount=1

in
/etc/sysctl.conf

.

A warning is specified in

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/usb-disks.html

about its security vulnerabilities .

Instead of using

vfs.usermount=1

for this purpose , a new parameter may be defined as follows :

vfs.removablemount=1

.

If

vfs.usermount=1

is found  in /etc/sysctl.conf , then

vfs.removablemount=1

may be assumed , if it is not present in /etc/sysctl.conf .

I prefer separate usage :

vfs.usermount=1 for ONLY fixed devices ,
vfs.removablemount=1 for ONLY removable devices .

A developer knowing the usage of vfs.usermount in FreeBSD sources
may easily implement vfs.removablemount .

Such an implementation will fix security vulnerability caused by
using vfs.usermount=1 for
removable devices .

Sometimes , it may be necessary to restrict mount of removable devices
due to security requirements . Therefore , supplying a vfs.removablemount=
{ 0 or 1 }
may be a useful improvement .

I am NOT able to supply a patch about this because I do NOT know sources
sufficiently well .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk