x220 notes

Matt sendtomatt at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 18:48:24 UTC 2011

I just picked up an X220 and have been trying to get FreeBSD running well.

Some tips
ichsmb
acpi_video (attaches but doesn't work)
aesni
coretemp

powerd is a must, these processors seem to be designed to run very hot
unless throttled. Somehow my C3 state disappears when on AC, I think
that's a bios setting?

acpi_ibm needs "LEN0068" added to the list of ibm ids at the beginning
of /usr/src/sys/dev/acpi_support/acpi_ibm.c...I'd write a patch but that
machine is in a world of ports hurt right now :).
With this many of the sysctls and leds work, still no brightness (w or
wout intel DRI from Konstantin...thanks Konstantin!!)

sleep/resume work, but screen is off after resume and cannot be awakened
(even w/ dpms and or acpi_video).

I did have some issues with an Intel 6250 Wifi+Wimax that are fixed by
the patch that was in the wireless list a while ago.

Matt