FreeBSD 9.0-BETA2 memstick USB image hangs my BIOS

Matt Thyer matt.thyer at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 22:10:32 UTC 2011

On Sep 28, 2011 7:15 AM, "Matt Thyer" <matt.thyer at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 28, 2011 4:11 AM, "Nathan Whitehorn" <nwhitehorn at freebsd.org>
wrote:

> >> I believe this would be due to the improper GPT partition table on the
> >> FreeBSD memstick (as there is no backup partition table at the end of
the
> >> volume).
> >>
> >> This was discussed earlier and now that makefs has patches for UFS
label
> >> support there should be no need to continue to use GPT partitioning for
the
> >> memstick image.
> >>
> >> The background is that bsdinstall relys on labels (a good thing) and
GPT
> >> partition labels were being used but as there's no way to predict the
size
> >> of your memstick, the resulting GPT partition table was not valid (for
> >> strict UEFI systems).
> >>
> >> The fix was to go back to traditional MS-DOS partitioning (MBR) but
this
> >> couldn't be done until makefs supported UFS labels. Someone came up
with
> >> patches so 9.0 should be able to have an MBR memstick and bsdinstall.
> >>
> >> I'm not sure how far this has progressed.
> >

> > I don't believe these patches were ever committed. Could you provide a
pointer to them?
> > -Nathan
>
> Yes, it was Andriy Gapon in this message:
http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?db=irt&id=4E60F480.6040706@FreeBSD.org

That message id link doesn't seem to work.

To find the message I searched for "makefs" on the FreeBSD mailing list
archive search facility with only "Current" selected.

The message was dated Fri, 2nd September 2011, 18:21:36 +0300 and the link
to the patch was: http://people.freebsd.org/~avg/makefs.ffs-label.diff