Experiences with FreeBSD 9.0-BETA2

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Sep 27 21:38:56 UTC 2011

On 09/27/2011 14:24, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2011-Sep-26 21:29:18 -0700, Kevin Oberman <kob6558 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> MBR allows 4 slices (which Windows and most of the world call
>> partitions). Windows also
>> allows the creation of "Extended Partitions, but FreeBSD does not
>> support these. They result
>> in device named with an 's' for slice. E.g. "da0s1".
>
> To be pedantic, the FreeBSD bootcode does not support _booting_ off
> extended partitions.  Once it is booted, FreeBSD has no problems
> accessing them.

Correct.

> (I don't know if alternative bootcode such as grub
> can boot FreeBSD within an extended partition).

Well the installer won't even look there, so you'd have to do a fair bit
of gymnastics to even get it there in the first place. And given the
difficulty that grub sometimes has with booting it from primary
partitions I wouldn't be hopeful, even if the FreeBSD late-stage boot
loader could do it, which I highly doubt.

			-- OK Go