ath / 802.11n performance issues and timer code

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Mon Sep 26 14:00:55 UTC 2011

On Sunday, September 25, 2011 5:48:31 am Adrian Chadd wrote:
> Nope, it has the opposite effect:
>
> * Increased latency may make aggregation better (for TX) but it limits
> throughput because TCP senses a latency increase;

I suspect this matters more.  Have you tried comparing UDP throughput in the
two cases?

One behavioral difference of a periodic timer vs a deadline timer is that if
you ask to delay for "1 clock tick", that can be anywhere from 0us to 1000us
(with hz == 1000) when using the periodic timer (because you can set the
callout at any time within a tick, but the callout will fire at the start of
the next tick).  However, for a deadline timer, the TCP timer will always fire
1000us after you set the timer.

--
John Baldwin