FreeBSD 9.0-BETA2 memstick USB image hangs my BIOS

Kevin Oberman kob6558 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 04:56:59 UTC 2011

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 9:14 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just tried to boot a FreeBSD-9.0 BETA2 (i386) memstick USB image
> on my BIOS.
>
> When inserted into a FreeBSD box (the one that I wrote it from), the
> partition table has an MBR style partition setup with a single EFI
> partition on it.
>
> It however doesn't even get to the point where it fails to boot - it
> hangs the BIOS at the startup screen, just after the memory probe.
> This is normally where it'll print out the attached storage devices.
> If I attach another USB stick with a normal DOS/FAT filesystem and
> partition layout (the same model USB drive), the BIOS start-up sequence
> completes.
>
> The motherboard is a Gigabyte G41MT-ES2L. The BIOS reports it as
> "G41MT-ES2L F2".
> The version string along the bottom is "12/01/2009-G41-ICH7-6a79PG03C-00".

Sounds like what happens when I try to boot my ThinkPad T520 with my cell phone
plugged in (Thunderbolt). It locks up tight in BIOS. Won't boot
anything. This is a
hardware issue as the phone looks like a USB drive to the OS.

After I boot I can plug in the phone and it is probes correctly under FreeBSD or
Windows 7.

I suspect that the thumb  drive is the issue, not FreeBSD.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer - Retired
E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com