9.0 beta2 & the new bsdinstaller

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Sun Sep 25 20:13:27 UTC 2011

Chris Rees wrote:
> On 25 September 2011 14:01, Fbsd8<fbsd8 at a1poweruser.com>  wrote:
>> deeptech71 at gmail.com wrote:
>>>
>>> Fbsd8 wrote:

[...]

>>> Do NOT alter! More often than not,
>>> (1) you keep floppies, optical discs, and memory sticks in your
>>> computer without intending to boot from them, and
>>> (2) you'll want to use your BIOS's boot-once functionality (press a
>>> specific keyboard button to bring up the media choser menu for that
>>> boot; otherwise boot from the hard drives) whenever you do want to
>>> boot from floppies, optical discs, or memory sticks.
>>>

>> You have missed the subject completely of what #6 is addressing. This has
>> nothing to do with telling the pc hardware which media to boot from at power
>> up time like you suggest in your post.
>>
>> This has to do with the logic of the new bsdinstall process and the
>> differences between bsdinstall and sysinstall in the way the install media
>> is removed from the pc before it reboots as part of the normal install
>> process.
>>

> Surely a reminder rather than an obstinate refusal to continue is appropriate?
>
> Example:
>
> Please remove your install media so that it is not loaded on reboot,
> and press any key to continue....

I agree with your suggestion. Reminder is helpful for beginners. But I
really hate systems / applications forcing me to do something not
necessary. Things like this are operators decision. System should
provide choices.
There are real situations, where install media cannot be removed
(install via remote KVM with real local USB stick) and there is no need
to not allow user to reboot from the installer.

Miroslav Lachman