no X after installing xorg + xfce

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 20 11:55:19 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 12:41 PM, Antonio Olivares
<olivares14031 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The first thing to try is reading the handbook section on configuring
>> X at http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/x-config.html - specifically
>> try running
>>
>> Xorg -configure
>>
>> as root to get a basic xorg.conf file that you can then tweak
>>
>> Once you have this working, you may like to try the binary nvidia
>> driver available from
>> http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk which should
>> provide the all the features of the graphics card
>>
>> Anthony
>>

> Been there!  Done that!   Makes no difference.  X hangs and returns
> screen with many lines in colors but X does not work correctly.  So
> thanks for advice, but no that does not help.  Maybe what do I have to
> lose, I should try to rebuild system or reinstall to see if it makes a
> difference?
>
> Regards,
>
> Antonio

'Does not work correctly' covers everything from the background the
wrong colour to the mouse being inverted and everything inbetween.

I've skimmed the thread, (apologies if I've missed it), but I haven't
yet seen your Xorg log or your config file. Almost every graphics card
should work with VESA at a minimum.

With an ancient graphics 'card' like a 6050, x11/nvidia-driver is the
wrong driver, you want x11/nvidia-driver-173. However, the 173 series
drivers do not support amd64 IIRC.

With logs someone may be able to help you, without logs its just
shouting out ideas why your X11 installation isn't working.

Cheers

Tom