no X after installing xorg + xfce

Anthony Brown anthony at found-it.net
Tue Sep 20 06:16:03 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 1:31 AM, Antonio Olivares
<olivares14031 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I added  this to /etc/rc.conf

> but machine still gives no working X :(
>

>>>    This seems like more of a question@ issue.
>>>    I doubt that the above claim is at fault, given past experience.
>>> What does /var/log/Xorg.0.log say, and what does your xorg.conf
>>> contain?
> I would like to return this, but have no way of saving output :(
>
> I have updated via ports to latest tree available and have used csup
> to get kernel sources to install nvidia-driver, but kldload nvidia,
> returns a mismatch another type of error, I recompiled xorg-server and
> no hal was in configuration, but X does not work.
>
> with nv, nvidia(after compilation), and noveau no working X :(
>
> What can I do?  I have two machines with nvidia chipsets one
> integrated in the motherboard and another nvidia Gforce card and amd64
> 8.2 works great.  This is an integrated motherboard.
>
> As I am not an expert, I ask for advice/suggestions/comments to get this going.

The first thing to try is reading the handbook section on configuring
X at http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/x-config.html - specifically
try running

Xorg -configure

as root to get a basic xorg.conf file that you can then tweak

Once you have this working, you may like to try the binary nvidia
driver available from
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk which should
provide the all the features of the graphics card

Anthony