ath0 no longer attaches, cardbus problems?

Daniel Eischen deischen at freebsd.org
Wed Sep 7 21:48:02 UTC 2011

On Wed, 7 Sep 2011, John Baldwin wrote:

> On Wednesday, September 07, 2011 4:18:25 pm Daniel Eischen wrote:

>> Setting debug.acpi.disabled=hostres in /boot/loader.conf
>> did not help.  I tried this with a recent kernel from HEAD.
>
> Did it remove the 'pcib0: decoding ....' lines from a verbose dmesg?

I don't see that line in a verbose dmesg.  The hostres verbose
dmesg is here:

   http://people.freebsd.org/~deischen/ath_dmesg_hostres.txt

>> More info.  I've found that kernels:
>>
>>    March 31 - work, ath attaches and works
>>
>>    April 1 - June 6: panic on cardbus attach
>>
>>    June 7 - HEAD: work, but ath doesn't attach
>>

>> I found the commit that fixed the panic:

   [ snip ]

>> I applied this patch to the April 1st kernel (which previously
>> paniced) and was able to boot the kernel.  ath still does not
>> attach.
>>
>> So the commit that broke my cardbus ath occurred on April 1.
>
> Hmm.  There are no PCI or Cardbus commits on April 1.  There are some ath(4)
> changes though including two HAL changes:

I'm using a local CVS repo, so the a -D date means (I guess)
the beginning of the day.  So the commit that actually broke
the kernel for me occurred on Mar 31.  According to:

   cvs diff -u -D"31 Mar 2011" -D"1 Apr 2011"

there were a lot of sys/dev/pci changes.

--
DE