newnfs user setup

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Sat Sep 3 00:25:06 UTC 2011

Brandon Gooch wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 8:09 PM, Brandon Gooch
> <jamesbrandongooch at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Here's how I apply the patch.
> >> - download dtrace.patch to somewhere, lets say /tmp, then
> >> # cd /usr/src/sys <-- sys subdirectory of a current head,
> >>                       which you don't mind messing up
> >>                       doesn't have to be at /usr/src/sys,
> >>                       of course.
> >> # patch -p1 < /tmp/dtrace.patch
> >>
> >> rick
> >>

> > What's the status on this patch? It would be nice to get
> > dtrace/newnfs
> > going for 9.0...it's not too late, right?
> >
> > I'll test the patch too BTW :)
> >
> > -Brandon
> >

> So it looks like the patch was committed to HEAD, but the bits to
> support the New NFS implementation were never flipped on -- is that
> for a good reason?

I know nothing about Dtrace, so if something needs to be changed/fixed,
someone who understands these things will have to let me know.

When I built a kernel with "options KDTRACE_HOOKS" and set
dtraceall_load="YES" in /etc/rc.conf,
it booted and
# dtrace -l
- seemed to find the stuff (it's called "dtnfscl", btw).

Someone told me that's how you check it's loaded and that's all I
know how to do w.r.t. dtrace.

If you can test/debug it, that would be great, rick