Problems booting 9.0-BETA1 memstick

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Thu Sep 1 19:55:00 UTC 2011

On Thu, 1 Sep 2011, Garrett Cooper wrote:

> On Sep 1, 2011, at 12:00 PM, Matt Thyer wrote:
>
>> Shouldn't we use MBR partitioning instead of GPT for the memstick image ?
>>
>> We won't need larger than 2TiB installation media for many decades!
>
> 	Or just don't use a backup partition? Maybe dd conv=sync would help?

It seems like the same problem as gmirror inside a GPT partition.
gptboot doesn't realize it's looking for backup GPT data in the wrong
spot.  That might be a problem local to gptboot, or something deeper.

It seems wrong to have gptboot just ignore backup GPT data, but it could
be an option.  Can it actually do something if the backup GPT differs,
or is it testing for an error that can't be handled?

MBR didn't have backup data ("Luxury!  Pure luxury!"), and it did okay.