FreeBSD 9.0 RC1 USB Mouse and Keyboard

Garrett Cooper yanegomi at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 21:01:14 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 1:52 PM, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk
<m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 4:41 PM, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 25 Oct 2011, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
>>
>>  Also by Benjamin Kaduk :
>>>

>>> Has this computer successfully run other versions of FreeBSD with X?
>>> I seem to recall there can be odd interactions with hald, xorg.conf, and
>>> others. Some googling brings up
>>> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/aei.html which seems to cover
>>> many of
>>> the relevant issues.
>>>
>>> -Ben Kaduk
>>>

>>> --------------------------
>>>
>>> After the above messages ,
>>> on the same computer , I have installed the FreeBSD 9.0 RC1 amd64 again .
>>>
>>> I have generated an xorg.conf file .
>>>
>>> Into the xorg.conf  file and ServerLayout part , I have inserted
>>>
>>>  Option "AutoAddDevices"  "Off"
>>>
>>> The USB Mouse and Keyboard , Fluxbox  started to work as expected in the
>>> graphical mode  under X .
>>>

>>> Without the above statement about Option , the error message is :
>>>
>>> (EE) config/hal : couldn't initialise context . unknown error (null)
>>>

>> This line appears if x11-servers/xorg-server was built with the HAL option
>> enabled.
>>
>>  In FreeBSD 9.0 RC1 i386 , such a step is NOT necessary .
>>>

>> They should be the same.  On i386, maybe xorg-server was built with the HAL
>> option disabled?
>

> I do not know because I am using downloaded .iso files as they are supplied
> in mirrors without any modification .

The default is WITH_HAL:

OPTIONS+=       HAL     "Compile with HAL config support" on

Why WITHOUT_HAL would be defined with i386 and not amd64, I have no
idea, but if the build environments are consistently then it should be
on for both.
Thanks,
-Garrett