Fresh installed Freebsd 9 don't boot from hd

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Tue Oct 25 20:45:51 UTC 2011

On Monday, October 24, 2011 7:21:27 pm Gunnar Schaefer wrote:
> On Oct 24, 2011, at 2:40 PM, Dennis Koegel wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 11:33:23AM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> >> Perhaps try http://www.freebsd.org/~jhb/patches/edd_params.patch
> >
> > GCC chokes here in drv.c:{49,50}: "cannot convert to a pointer type":
> >
> >        v86.ds = VTOPSEG(params);
> >        v86.esi = VTOPOFF(params);
> >
> > Changed this to &params. Also changed sector_size to uint16_t as noted
> > by Andriy. Boots perfectly! (Tested with gcc and clang)
>
> I'd like to test these patches on my Supermicro machine as well.
Unfortunately, I don't know how to go about it, but I'm hopeful to be able to
figure it out with some basic instructions. I'm currently running a fresh RC1
install, and I'm able to boot the system if I set the BIOS to IDE mode, rather
than AHCI.

> Any help would be much appreciated,

I just committed them to HEAD (226748 along with a cleanup in 226746).  They
should backport to 9.

--
John Baldwin