can audio CDs be played with ATA_CAM ?

Claude Buisson clbuisson at orange.fr
Tue Oct 25 11:18:52 UTC 2011

On 10/25/2011 12:52, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> On 25/10/2011, at 20:45, Claude Buisson wrote:
>> When upgrading a system to 8.2-STABLE, I switched my kernel from atapicam to
>> ATA_CAM, and found that vlc could not play audio CDs anymore. Reverting to
>> atapicam (and reverting from cdN to acdN of course), vlc was OK again.
>>
>> It seems that I am not the only one having this kind of problem, as I found (for
>> example) this message on questions@ (for releng9):
>>
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2011-October/234737.html
>>
>> Is this a known problem ? Is somebody working on it ?
>
> Have you tried pointing VLC at /dev/cd0 when using ATA_CAM?

Of course yes ! (I even configured WITH_CDROM_DEVICE=/dev/cd1 when building VLC)

> It may be trying old style ATA ioctls based on the device name.

VLC recognize the tracks and jump quickly from one to the following, without
playing it, and with a flow of messages:

[0x2caf2a3c] cdda access error: Could not set block size
[0x2caf2a3c] cdda access error: cannot read sector nnnnn

where the sector number is incremented, and then emit (2 times if I remenber):

[0x2af28bc] es demux error: cannot peek

Sorry for having ommited these messages in the previous mail.

I found a PR 161760 about cdparanoia needing to be patched for 9.0 with CAM, a
proposal by avg@ related to libxine:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-multimedia/2010-December/011414.html

These may not be the same problem, but I think they are related (a not so well
documented change in the kerm interface).

> --
> Daniel O'Connor software and network engineer
> for Genesis Software - http://www.gsoft.com.au
> "The nice thing about standards is that there
> are so many of them to choose from."
>    -- Andrew Tanenbaum
> GPG Fingerprint - 5596 B766 97C0 0E94 4347 295E E593 DC20 7B3F CE8C

Claude Buisson