Not setting TERM explicitly wraps commands at 80 columns with nested shells in xterms using sh + bash?

Ed Schouten ed at 80386.nl
Fri Oct 21 07:08:40 UTC 2011

* Garrett Cooper <yanegomi at gmail.com>, 20111021 09:00:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 11:59 PM, Ed Schouten <ed at 80386.nl> wrote:
> > Hi Garrett,
> >
> > * Garrett Cooper <yanegomi at gmail.com>, 20111021 08:40:
> >>     If I fire up an xterm without setting TERM={ansi,vt100,xterm},
> >> [...]
> >
> > So what's the idea behind this? Why not just set TERM properly?
>
> It is set properly though -- that's the confusing part:
>
> $ echo $TERM
> xterm

Oh, okay. So you mean "If I fire up an xterm without changing the
default TERM, [...]", right?

Can you check whether `stty size' does return the correct numbers? That
way we can determine if it's a problem in xterm, your shell (or maybe
the kernel). Thanks!

--
 Ed Schouten <ed at 80386.nl>
 WWW: http://80386.nl/