Fwd: ata/ahci problems in 9.0-BETA3

Alexander Motin mav at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 17 18:34:35 UTC 2011

Hi.

Armin Pirkovitsch wrote:
> Sorry for being such a pain in the ass but I think a fix for that
> problem is quiet important since it also exists in the upcoming 9.0
> RELEASE (B3)...
>
> I've attached 3 screenshots (litterally) of the problem.
>
> In case attachments are killed on current@:
> http://oh.homeunix.org/FreeBSD/ata/DSC06461.JPG
> http://oh.homeunix.org/FreeBSD/ata/DSC06462.JPG
> http://oh.homeunix.org/FreeBSD/ata/DSC06463.JPG
>

> If you have any idea or any patches I am more than willing to help -
> just changing the source myself is - I'm afraid - way out of my league
> right now...

As I see, this panic happened in file system soft-updates code as result
of disk I/O errors. It is not directly related to ahci driver. ahci
driver just detected hardware timeouts and unsuccessfully tried to
recover situation, that finally triggered the panic. As I can see in
messages, device or controller firmware stuck in such busy state, that
even SATA hard-reset was unable to recover.

--
Alexander Motin