buildworld failure r223619 to 225128

Beach Geek labeachgeek at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 16:46:17 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 6:49 PM, Beach Geek <labeachgeek at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/27/11, Matt Thyer <matt.thyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Have you tried moving aside your existing /usr/src and checking it out
> > afresh?

> you

> /usr/src/lib/clang/libllvmarmasmparser/../../../contrib/llvm/lib/Target/ARM
> /usr/src/lib/clang/libllvmarmasmparser/../../../contrib/llvm/include
> > /usr/src/lib/clang/libllvmarmasmparser/../../../contrib/llvm/lib/Target
> >>>>

> /usr/src/lib/clang/libllvmarmasmparser/../../../contrib/llvm/lib/Target/ARM/ARM.td

> > initializer!

> >> This laptop also runs MS Win 7/64 and FreeBSD 9 amd. The FBSD amd
> upgraded
> > ok.
> >>
> >> The buildworld always fails in same place, with same message (5 tries).
> >> I'm running diags on it right now just to make sure the hardware's good.
> >>
> >> The reason I tried "make depend" was because of a reference to r221543
> >> that said it required "make depend" before buildworld. (a shot in the
> >> dark before posting to mail list).
> >>
> >> I will post if I find any hardware problems.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Beach Geek
> >>
> >> PS. Option on updating to a version inbetween, then to latest???
> >

> Just an update:
> 1) Hardware diagnostics showed no problems.
> 2) Backed up and deleted contents of /usr/src and copied it from a box
> that upgraded ok.  Still fails same place.
> 3) Deleted contents of /usr/src again, loaded seed, and "svn up
> /usr/src". Failed and rebooted.  I'll be running buildworld again and
> try to catch msg before reboot.
>
> Thanks,

> Beach Geek

Just to close this thread out...
After quite a few more svn upgrades and buildworlds, and try the suggestions
in this thread and sent directly to me....  I gave up.  :(

Final solution, boot from memstick image, use DESTDIR= with
buildworld/buildkernel/etc, upgrade to 9-beta3 went fine.  Then "svn up
/usr/src to lastest, and buildworld/buildkernel/etc again... life is good.
;)

Would have been nice to know why buildworld was failing before, but using
the memstick got me current with all my data intacted.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.
Beach Geek

PS. A side note, we got a native driver working for the RTL8188CE wireless
card, but it's still really buggy, but it's a start.