9.x installer and GPT vs geom

Johan Hendriks joh.hendriks at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 15:34:57 UTC 2011

Nathan Whitehorn schreef:
> On 10/13/11 04:25, O. Hartmann wrote:
>> On 10/13/11 10:39, Johan Hendriks wrote:
>>> Hello all.
>>>
>>> I just used the 9.0 B3 installer, and it defaults to GPT, which is
>>> nice.
>>> However, and there has been some discussions about it, it would be nice
>>> if the installer warns me that i could get in trouble if i want to use
>>> gmirror and the like.
>>>
>>> Also i find it a little strange that the default mode, GPT in this case
>>> is in some sort not compatible with the other default geom structure.
>>> For a newcomer or for people who use gmirror and glabel on a regular
>>> basis because there somewhat default, it could strike them if they
>>> start
>>> using the default GPT.
>>>
>>> It is not logical.
>>> Two default ways to do things that are in a way not compatible.
>>>
>>> So a warning at the installer level could make a lot of users aware of
>>> this, and they can decide what to do, use GPT or go back to the old
>>> MBR.
>>> They can start looking at the mailling list and so on to make the right
>>> decision is GPT acceptable for me or not.
>>> And not install FreeBSD and find out later that you could not use your
>>> old gmirror and glabel tactics without corrupting the GPT structure.
>>>
>>> Just my thoughts about this.
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> Johan Hendriks
>>>
>> Shouldn't be there also a warning that GPT can not be used with the
>> FreeBSD native bootselector? I had trouble installing FreeBSD
>> 9.0-CURRENT a while ago with default being GPT on my notebook and
>> also wanting a Windows 7/x64 for presentations, selectable via the
>> FreeBSD bootselector. This was possible with MBR, but it seems gone
>> with GPT.
>
> If you install onto an already MBR-formatted disk (say, you're
> dual-booting), it will use MBR as the default, not GPT. It only uses
> GPT as the default if you (a) put in a totally blank disk or (b) say
> you want to dedicate the disk entirely to FreeBSD.
> -Nathan

And that is what most people do, use an entire new disk, and use that
whole disk for FreeBSD.
Me included, if i install a new server that is the way i do it.
I think most people do it that way. If they must install a new server i
think the most  users will use the defaults the installer gives them.
And because there are a lot of people who use gmirror to mirror the
whole disk, they get bitten by the GPT vs geom metadata issue.
If however the installer warns people, they know things have changed, so
they can investigate, and then they will hopefully find the threads
regarding GPT, gmirror and glabel, and the problems that could arise.
There is a lot on the internet about it already.
Forums.freebsd.org included.

So a warning (or pointer) is at place as far as i am concerned.

regards
Johan Hendriks