"BTX halted" when booting 9.0-BETA3 (Root On ZFS)

Jean-Sébastien Pédron jean-sebastien.pedron at dumbbell.fr
Thu Oct 13 13:38:24 UTC 2011

On 13.10.2011 11:03, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>> I built world from SVN revision 226141. (...)
>
> r226141 is head.  Did you build a 10-current or RELENG_9 world?

I built stable/9.

Sorry, the revision I mention is wrong because I have one checkout of
/base/ (with head/ and stable/9 inside). I always run svn update from
this directory, so when I do "svn info" in stable/9, it indicates the
last revision for the entire checkout, which as in head as you pointed
out.

I checked with "svn log" and the last revision is 226115. Sorry for
the mistake.

> How full is your zpool?  Has it ever been quite full (>~90%)?

Yes, it's pretty full right now (> 95%).

>> What I tried so far: o  reinstall zfsboot from 9.0-BETA3
>
> I presume you mean dd'ing it into the front of boot slice.

Yes, as described in the RootOnZFS guide.

> What is "zfsloader.old" at this point?  The one from r226141?

Now, I have zfsboot and zfsloader from 9.0-BETA3's DVD1. The problem
is the same with the one from r226115.

> I suspect you have two options: 1) Do a send|recv to rebuild your
> root pool. 2) Build (and install) a new zfsboot with the patches
> mentioned in
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2011-September/012448.html

I thought those patches had been committed but it seems they haven't been.

I tried this patch but it doesn't fix the problem.

Andriy suggested me to try tools/tools/zfsboottest and this tool reads
the files properly.

Peter, I'll try to send/recv as soon as I have access to a storage
with enough space.

Thank you for your help!

- --
Jean-Sébastien Pédron