9.x installer and GPT vs geom

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Thu Oct 13 09:25:04 UTC 2011

On 10/13/11 10:39, Johan Hendriks wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I just used the 9.0 B3 installer, and it defaults to GPT, which is nice.
> However, and there has been some discussions about it, it would be nice
> if the installer warns me that i could get in trouble if i want to use
> gmirror and the like.
>
> Also i find it a little strange that the default mode, GPT in this case
> is in some sort not compatible with the other default geom structure.
> For a newcomer or for people who use gmirror and glabel on a regular
> basis because there somewhat default, it could strike them if they start
> using the default GPT.
>
> It is not logical.
> Two default ways to do things that are in a way not compatible.
>
> So a warning at the installer level could make a lot of users aware of
> this, and they can decide what to do, use GPT or go back to the old MBR.
> They can start looking at the mailling list and so on to make the right
> decision is GPT acceptable for me or not.
> And not install FreeBSD and find out later that you could not use your
> old gmirror and glabel tactics without corrupting the GPT structure.
>
> Just my thoughts about this.
>
> regards,
> Johan Hendriks

Shouldn't be there also a warning that GPT can not be used with the
FreeBSD native bootselector? I had trouble installing FreeBSD
9.0-CURRENT a while ago with default being GPT on my notebook and also
wanting a Windows 7/x64 for presentations, selectable via the FreeBSD
bootselector. This was possible with MBR, but it seems gone with GPT.

Regards,
Oliver