System headers with clang?

Arnaud Lacombe lacombar at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 01:50:30 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 9:09 PM, Julian Elischer <julian at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 10/11/11 12:57 PM, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 3:42 PM, Julian Elischer<julian at freebsd.org>
>>  wrote:

>> I will repeat myself here, but I ran what-was-to-become-Linux-v3.2
>> kernel on a 4 years old openwrt image and still had a functional
>> system. Comparatively, I could not mix FreeBSD 7-STABLE userland and
>> 8-STABLE kernel, The 8-STABLE kernel even changed the FS enough to
>> make FreeBSD 7 unable to boot (even single user).
>
> actually due to libkvm there are actually a lot of programs that will work
> over the
> 7-8 boundary...  a lot more than used to. between, say 2 and 3.
>
>> Let me emphasize again that it is only my personal opinion :-)
>
> Yep but its shared.. Unfortunately the problem is actually trickier than
> first appears.
> My own attempt at it can be seen with netgraph, where we instituted a text
> based
> config scheme, and in geom where PHK made an XML config scheme.

it would seem that any attempt to solves that problem somehow ends-up
to hierarchically text-encode/decode the binary data, Linux /proc /
/sys text file-based interface, the netgraph encoding (which I admit
is really powerful once dominated), phk's XML config scheme, NetBSD &
Apple property list :)

 - Arnaud