Memstick image differences between 8.x and 9.x

Glen Barber gjb at FreeBSD.org
Sun Oct 9 05:45:40 UTC 2011

On 10/8/11 10:41 PM, Thomas K. wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 08, 2011 at 04:38:09PM -0400, Glen Barber wrote:
>
>> Thomas, can you please zero out the beginning of the 1024 bytes of your
>> memory stick, as follows (please take care to note the actual device for
>> your memory stick, and change '/dev/da0' below, as appropriate):
>>
>> 	dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0 bs=1024 count=1
>>
>> Then re-write the memory stick per the instructions in the Handbook.
>> Newly added to this section of the Handbook was a note to ensure the
>> device is _not_ mounted (either manually, or automatically).
>
> So you want me to clear the first 1K bytes, and then write the whole
> image back to the pen drive, did I get this right? If so, I don't understand
> what we're trying to archive here, maybe you could explain?

Mostly what I was getting at here was ensuring the first blocks of the
memory stick did not contain "actual data."  Though, I fear other forces
may be at play here with GPT...

--
Glen Barber | gjb at FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD Documentation Project