Memstick image differences between 8.x and 9.x

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sat Oct 8 22:21:27 UTC 2011

On Sat, 8 Oct 2011, Glen Barber wrote:

> On 10/8/11 5:40 PM, Warren Block wrote:

>>> GPT should have no impact on booting from the memory stick, as far as I
>>> am aware.
>>
>> Memory stick should not be a problem, but some of the Lenovo notebooks
>> hate GPT, even with a PMBR:
>>   http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=26304
>>   http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=26759
>>

> Ugh, that's annoying.  I'm half-tempted to note this in the new
> installer chapter, but I don't like the idea of such edge cases as these
> to effectively turn that page into a pseudo-HCL.

There are already a couple of notes about having to use MBR with XP and
other older operating systems.  But instead of updating them, I'd rather
see somebody with one of the affected systems contact somebody with
influence at Lenovo and say "hey, the FreeBSD guys are talking about
making your broken GPT support famous" followed quickly by a BIOS
update.