Memstick image differences between 8.x and 9.x

Thomas K. fwd at gothschlampen.com
Sat Oct 8 18:14:10 UTC 2011

Hello,

a while ago I downloaded a then current FreeBSD 9 current memstick image and
wrote it to an USB pen drive. It didn't boot, but also showed no error.
It just did not appear in the list of devices to boot from, after pressing
F12 after POST on this box.

I thought maybe the pen drive was bad or unbootable or something, and forgot
about it. This was for playing around with ZFS, so I went with FreeBSD 8.1
back then. No problems.

With FreeBSD 9.0-BETA3 I tried again on another pen drive (known to work ok),
same result. It just does not appear in the list of devices to boot from
when pressing F12 after POST.

Are there any general structural differences between FreeBSD 8 and 9 memstick
images which could be at fault here?

I didn't really investigate this issue any further than described, just being
curious.

Regards,
Thomas