x220 notes

matt sendtomatt at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 19:26:45 UTC 2011

On Tue, 4 Oct 2011 02:21:59 -0400 (EDT)
Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk at MIT.EDU> wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Oct 2011, matt wrote:
>
> > Ultimately, I think if we can set backlight, we can fix the screen
> > after resume...I think it's just the backlight is low/off on
> > resume...
>
> Can you use a very strong fronglight to see if this is actually the
> case? (Illumination angle may be important as well.)  The state of
> the liquid crystal polarizing switches should be visible under
> sufficient illumination, and whether they change with input would be
> pretty definitive.
> I actually used to operate my iBook G4 in "frontlight mode" in bright
> sunlight for a while (until the wifi card flaked out, tying it to my
> desk).
>
> -Ben Kaduk

It's the IPS display, so there's a bit of glare...not much visible. I
can't tell for sure...

Friend had idea of trying to resume under X with external
VGA display...both remained off, however I am using the Intel GPU
experimental drivers (To make a note, resume is broken without them as
well).

I can't get vbetool from ports to do anything with the display other
than cause it to turn off.

I can type commands just fine under X or console with the display
off...so I have tried xset, vbetool. hw.acpi.reset_video causes a
majorly bad reboot loop on resume with a flashing thinklight.

Matt