ee (easy editor) bugged on 9.0?

Jason Edwards sub.mesa at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 13:41:36 UTC 2011

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 6:07 PM, Stefan Bethke <stb at lassitu.de> wrote:
> Am 19.11.2011 um 17:29 schrieb Jason Edwards:
>
>> Dear list,
>>
>> Has anyone noticed the easy editor is quite bugged on 9.0? On console
>> direct access, opening the easy editor has several bugs:
>>
>> 1) the cursor starts on line 2 instead of line 1
>> 2) the line numbering is printed on line 1 instead of the boundary (line 0)
>> 3) the keys page up and page down bring the escape menu
>>
>> Strange enough, if I SSH into the box the ee editor works normally. So
>> I'm wondering if this is something other people have noticed? Just
>> want to exclude the possibility of me doing something wrong.
>>
>> I've noticed this behavior on 9-CURRENT, 9.0-RC1 as well as 9.0-RC2,
>> amd64. GENERIC kernel and tested inside Virtualbox.
>
> Working fine here on 9.0-RC1.
>
> Is this a fresh install, or did you upgrade? Have you updated your ttys to set the terminal type to xterm instead of cons25?

This is a fresh install. I do make a LiveCD using scripted tools. But
it pretty much is a vanilla FreeBSD install with just some packages
preinstalled (webserver, php, etc). The only relevant changes I think
are a change to /etc/ttys. But when I revert the file back to the
defaults, the problem stays. I thought that perhaps Virtualbox had
something to do with it, but it seems to happen on a real system as
well.

Some of you asked for the environmental settings. Using 'env' the
output begins with:

-- on console --
TERM=cons25
SHELL=/usr/local/bin/bash

-- via SSH --
TERM=xterm
SHELL=/usr/local/bin/bash

Via SSH the ee editor works as it should. On the console it is bugged.

Regards,
Jason