spamcop abuse of power

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Fri Nov 18 01:36:59 UTC 2011

Reference:

Dan The Man wrote:

> Today I had an unhappy unix student try to submit an assignment to me and
> could not. Spamcop has decided to go off blacklisting all yahoo/shaw etc
> servers worldwide.
>
> Example Solution Postfix:
> remove: reject_rbl_client bl.spamcop.net
> from your smtpd_recipient_restrictions line until they fix their abuse
> issues.

Better not dump Spamcop, Better let people dump Yahoo.

Yahoo deserve grief since they abandoned their abuse@ address some
time back.  Yahoo make money hosting email, some inevitably spammers,
but when innocent domain admin recipients (inc. me) forward spam
from Yahoo customers back to abuse at Yahoo, Yahoo toss it back demanding
we work unpaid for Yahoo, analaysing their spam & filling a Yahoo web
form.  I'm an unpaid admin, & Yahoo wastes my time.

I recall Yahoo laid off some admins a while after they abandoned
abuse@, offloading spam processing on innocent recipients must have
helped reduce their business.

Though latest RFC may no longer require an abuse@ address, & might
consider an http: form acceptable, who but a commercial ISP's
lobbyist would consider that transfer & imposition of work from
polluting transmitter domain to innocent recioient domain as fair
?  From a paid profiting commercial ISP source of the spam, paid
to work, to instead burden innocent admins, some of whom arent even
paid to admin.

BTW One can still forward spam back to postmaster at yahoo, (eg after
it bounces from abuse@) (prob cos if no postmaster@ they'd be in
breach of RFCs , another reason to block). Yahoo then don't just
send "We zapped that spammer account" responses - Yahoo send
questionaires to consume more of your time.

Yahoo need disciplining.
Spamcop does not report blocked @ Fri Nov 18 02:10:40 CET 2011
http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblock&ip=212.82.109.132

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, cumulative like a play script, & indent with "> ".