No disks usable on a P5NE MB (aka regession is r219737)

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Tue Nov 15 17:53:19 UTC 2011

On Friday, November 11, 2011 5:59:07 pm Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 11:10:58PM +0100, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:

> > > Apparently this doesn't help, given that I have no way to netboot this
box, may
> > > that be from pxe and that there is no serial console, what can I do more
to help
> > > fixing this?
> > >
> > > I would love to be able to run 9 on my box
> > >
> > > regards,
> > > Bapt
> >
> > After trying lots of different kernel it appears that the regression was
> > introduce in r219737. I'm trying to figure out to solve this.
> >
> > If you have any clue tell me.
> >
> > regards,
> > Bapt
>

> With the help of cognet, I workaround this and have been able to boot both 9
and
> 10 remove that block :
> http://people.freebsd.org/~bapt/workaround-to-boot-p5ne.diff

Yeah, the problem is that NVIDIA chipsets seem to have really odd behavior in
that once you turn MSI mapping on for a given node in the HyperTransport tree
it expects all child devices to only use MSI and not INTx.  Linux has a lot of
quirk code to try to handle this by only turning on the mapping window when
MSI is enabled for a given device.  However, it has lots of hacks to try to
find the right Host-PCI Bridge that a given device is a child of.  I'm mostly
tempted to just disable MSI on NVIDIA chipsets that have these issues rather
than adding the same number of quirks.  However I haven't really had time to
sit down and look at this.

--
John Baldwin