Adding disk firmware programming capability to camcontrol

Ed Maste emaste at freebsd.org
Fri Nov 4 14:16:42 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 07:05:54PM -0700, Craig Rodrigues wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Nima Misaghian <nmisaghian at sandvine.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have got code developed by Andre Albsmeier that is capable of
> > programming firmware of hard drives from several vendors and ?turned
> > it into a camcontrol command.

> I think the patch is fine in its current form.  Very few "regular
> users" need to reprogram hard drive firmware.
> It is a special administrative operation.

Thanks for reviewing.

I discussed it with Ken Merry off-list and he mentioned the format command,
which has a similar requirement.  It has a -y flag to confirm the operation
from the command line, and prompts for confirmation if the flag is not
provided.  Mirroring that behaviour sounds reasonable to me; we'll update
the patch with that change before it gets committed.

-Ed