CURRENT && /usr/ports

b. f. bf1783 at googlemail.com
Thu May 26 15:19:56 UTC 2011

Matthias Apitz:
> I'm running -CURRENT on my laptop (r220692 from ~mid of April) and
> /usr/ports from CVS from the same day; I want from time to time (let's
> says once a week) SVN update my kernel and userland; I know that these
> two should be in sync, but what about the ports? I have installed around
> 1200 ports I'm used to use. Is there any special note in /usr/src/UPDATING
> when the ABI changes and would break the compiled ports?

There is a lot of relevant information in UPDATING, but this file
doesn't focus on ports, and some changes that affect ports aren't
mentioned. You can find some workarounds or IGNORE settings in
individual port Makefiles based upon OSVERSION, some open PRs which
describe known problems (and, occasionally, solutions), and a partial
list of problems at:

http://wiki.freebsd.org/PortsBrokenOnCurrent

(but this last listing is somewhat incomplete and out-of-date). You
can also find build logs at:

http://pointyhat.freebsd.org/errorlogs/

Efforts to find and fix these problems will accelerate after the
slush/freeze that will precede the release of FreeBSD 9.

b.