I am very confused and would appreciate some help on device renameing or on renumbering on current fstab.

Edwin L. Culp W. edwinlculp at gmail.com
Tue May 3 18:19:37 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 8:54 AM, Daniel Nebdal <dnebdal at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Thanks, John.  I was afraid that was the answer. Now, II'm really
>> confused.  I'm guessing that the partitions will notl need to be shown
>> in fstab (ada0s1a).   What little mind I have left is a blank,
>> /dev/ad4s1g will be automatically be detected.  Is that correct?
>>
>> What will I do with my second disk /dev/ad0s1a that is already zero?
>>
>> I apologize but I have really confused myself.  I've filled my glass
>> with too much water and I'm drowning.
>>
>> Thanks for everyone's patience.
>>
>> ed
>>
>> P.S.  If I am not the only idiot, maybe a couple of lines as an
>> example could go into UPDATING.
>
> If I have understood ada correct, the "first" disk (lowest current
> number) is ada0, the next ada1, and so on. If you have ad0 and ad4,
> they will be ad0=ada0, and ad4=ada1 . It doesn't affect anything
> _except_ the disk names, so ad4s1f = ada1s1f and so on. You'll have to
> change most of your fstab, basically s/ad0/ada0/g and s/ad4/ada1/g .
>
> That said, my one ad to ada transition was on a ZFS-only system, which
> took the fstab editing out of it. I might be horribly wrong in some or
> all of the above.

Thanks, Daniel.  Your explanation makes sense to me and to eleminate
problems with ad0, it is an old disk, that I will bring up later and
just change ad4 to ada0 and ad4s1g to ada0s1g, etc. and reboot it
again early tomorrow morning about 5 am CDT and will post a working
fstab, if I manage to get it to work.

Thanks again,

ed