Totally confused with the /usrsrc/UPDATING for 20110424 CAM-based ATA stack

eculp eculp at encontacto.net
Tue May 3 13:19:21 UTC 2011

With this confusion I need someone to give me an idea on renumbering.

I have two disks on this old machine that I have keep current sin
FreeBSD 6 IIRC as preparation for all the new goodies but this really
bit me in the morning with a generic kernel and had a heck of a time
getting it up.

I have a new kernel with the new options.
             options        ATA_CAM
             device         ahci
             device         mvs
             device         siis

This  morning was such a shock that I am tempted to go back to the old
kernel config that I understand still works but gonna try to bite the
bullit.

My fstab that I assume is still necessary is:

  /dev/ad4s1b            none            swap    sw              0       0
  /dev/ad4s1a            /               ufs     rw              1       1
  /dev/ad4s2g            /backup         ufs     rw              2       2
  /dev/ad4s1g            /home           ufs     rw              2       2
  /dev/ad4s2f            /release                ufs     rw
   2       2
  /dev/ad4s2d            /tmp            ufs     rw              2       2
  /dev/ad4s1e            /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
  /dev/ad4s1h            /usr/local              ufs     rw
   2       2
  /dev/ad4s1f            /var            ufs     rw              2       2
  /dev/ad4s2e            /var/tmp                ufs     rw
   2       2
  /dev/acd0              /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
  /dev/acd1              /cdrom1         cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
  /dev/cd0               /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
  /dev/cd1               /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
#
/dev/ad0s1a           /new            ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/ad0s1g          /new/home       ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ad0s1d                /new/tmp        ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ad0s1e                /new/usr        ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ada01h          /new/usr/local  ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ada01f                /new/var        ufs     rw              2       2

I am totally confused on how these should now be.

Any help appreciated.

ed