bsdinstall-amd64-20110313 remarks

Michael Reifenberger mike at reifenberger.com
Mon Mar 21 08:41:40 UTC 2011

Hi,
yesterday I tested the images listed in the subject and have the following
remarks:

- At least the memstick image contains an empty fstab
- Does the usage of a "dangerously dedikated disklabel" give any advantage?
- The usage of an UFS-Label for root mounting should be more flexible
- The first dialog step should set the keyboard layout
- The /etc is not writable which would greatly reduce the usefulness for the ISO
   image (no modified resolv.conf, sshd_config, ...)

The usage of a nanobsd based base-installation would give a sufficient
advanced Live-OS installation.

You could take a look into src/tools/tools/nanobsd/rescue where I tried to
address most of the issues above primary for rescuing GPT/ZFS installations
(with still hardcoded keyboard though).

With two nanobsd slices on one memstick you can actually produce combined
i386/and64 Live-OS memsticks...
I get both on a 2GiB memstick (Without packages).

What do you think?

Bye/2
---
Michael Reifenberger