CFR: importing openresolv

Bjoern A. Zeeb bz at FreeBSD.org
Fri Mar 11 13:25:42 UTC 2011

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011, Hajimu UMEMOTO wrote:

Hi,

> bz> Do you have an updated patch for 3.4.1 or 3.3.6?  I'd like to help to
> bz> you get it in for 9.0-R.  I wouldn't even mind if some ports would
> bz> conflict with it for a while not making the situation any worse than
> bz> it is these days.
>
> ume> I didn't notice that openresolv was updated.  I'll soon make a new
> ume> diff for 3.4.1.
> ume> hrs@ noticed that ppp(8) and uhsoctl(8) in our base tree touch
> ume> /etc/resolv.conf.  We need to change them to use resovlconf(8).
>
> I've updated a patch for 3.4.1:
>
>  http://www.imasy.or.jp/~ume/FreeBSD/openresolv-20110222.diff.gz
>
> If you have the previous patch applied, make sure to remove
> src/contrib/openresolv and src/sbin/resolvconf before applying new
> one.

I am still undecided if it's doing what I want it to do;)  I am also
undecided on the scripts in /libexec/resolvconf/, especially the
ports-related ones.

For dhclient-script I have found that, though not entirely right I
needed

+                if [ -s $tmpres ]; then
                         /sbin/resolvconf -a ${interface} < $tmpres
+                fi

as it killed my resovl.conf otherwise with the empty input; obviously
I should have my defaults in resolvconf.conf probably.

We'll also need a man page describing the basics.  I would love if
there was a simple C interface to use rather than having to go and
handle it independetly everywhere; a tiny lib just wrapping the basic
calls.  Not sure how Linux fixed that?  I'll continue to experiment
with it in various scenarios and I think it's the right way to go.

/bz

          Stop bit received. Insert coin for new address family.