LLVM: llvm-as, llvm-ld and so on not contained in FreeBSD core contrib?

Dimitry Andric dim at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jun 26 14:00:22 UTC 2011

On 2011-06-25 17:53, Hartmann, O. wrote:
> On 06/25/11 10:10, Roman Divacky wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 09:57:52AM +0200, Hartmann, O. wrote:
>>> Hello.
>>> Just for my couriosity: I'm missing llvm-as, llvm-ld and other binutils
>>> from LLVM and was wondering why they are contained in the port's llvm
>>> collection but not in FreeBSD's source contribution.
>>
>> There's no use for these utilities in FreeBSD base system.
>>
>>> I build FreeBSD 9 with CLANG. But as a missing llvm-as and llvm-ld (or
>>> llvm-ar) would imply, the binaries are generated via binutils from
>>> theGNU suite, aren't they?
>> llvm-{as,ld,ar} are not replacements for those from binutils. llvm-*
>> work on the llvm bitcode only and are of no use for normal object
>> files.
>>
>> dim@ made a patch that adds those utilities if you really need them
>>
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-toolchain/2011-June/000216.html
>>
>> By default when you compile things with clang it uses its own assembler
>> (ie. it goes directly from C ->   .o) so typically only gnu ld is used
>> in the compilation chain.
>>

>> roman
> Thank you very much. Patched and works.

What's the general opinion on applying this to -current?  Otherwise
it'll be sitting in my private tree, possibly bit-rotting. :)  For
people that are experimenting with llvm and/or clang, these additional
tools might sometimes come in handy.

For normal users, it won't have any impact, except for a few extra
source files in the tree.  These tools will not be built by default.