graid hit the tree

Gavin Atkinson gavin at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jun 17 13:27:20 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 23:48 +0200, Alexander Motin wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I've just committed the new GEOM-based software RAID driver (graid) into
> the HEAD [1]. Brave testers are welcome. :)
>
> 1. http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base?view=revision&revision=219974

One question.

I'm very happy with the performance of the ahci subsystem, it is
measurably faster against the old ATA subsystem on modern hardware.  I
also really appreciate the compatibility shims to aid migration from the
adX style numbering to adaX.  On every system I've migrated so far, this
mapping has worked flawlessly.

Is there any chance that mapping from /dev/arX -> /dev/raid/r0 etc could
also be done?

One thing that I have found is that it can be hard to determine from the
dmesg exactly where raid partitions will appear.  It would be wonderful
if devices similar to the "adX" devices could be made, for any graid
devices found.

Thanks,

Gavin

--