fast/syscall-free gettimeofday ?

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Wed Jun 15 20:49:48 UTC 2011

If this was to be extended with cached global syscall information like gettimeofday, would we want that to be in a separate page that is marked non-executable?  Is there any way to trick the kernel into leaking arbitrary (and thus executable) code?  Also, would it matter for jails?  Per-process info like getpid would obviously have to be a separate per-process page.

Scott