kldstat -q -m seems broken

Kostik Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 22:47:26 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 03:20:27PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I'm running 9.0-CURRENT r222889M amd64 and in the kld script I just sent
> to the list I had to use the slower 'load_kld -e' form because 'kldstat
> -q -m foo' is not working for me. For example:
>
> kldstat -qm linux ; echo $?
> 1
>
> However the module is definitely loaded:
>  5    2 0xffffffff81828000 1f113    linux.ko
>
> The same is true for several of my other modules, so it seems to be a
> fairly general problem. Anyone interested in taking a look?

Look at the output of kldstat -v. Modules kld have many to one relationship;
one kld usually have several modules, with the name not directly
related to kld itself.

E.g., tp check what is in kld "linux"
x% kldstat -v -n linux
Id Refs Address            Size     Name
25    1 0xffffffff81a75000 1f76e    linux.ko (/boot/kernel/linux.ko)
        Contains modules:
		Id Name
		139 linuxelf

and then