IPv4 broken on r222048

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Tue Jun 7 17:41:50 UTC 2011

On Jun 7, 2011, at 5:29 PM, Garrett Cooper wrote:

> Hi,
>    I'm running into an issue where ifconfig isn't executing properly,
> and is emitting the following message:
>
> # ifconfig re0 inet w.x.y.z
> ifconfig: can't set link-level netmask or broadcast
> #
>    I haven't traced down what commit exactly is causing this, but the
> issue appears to be a purely userland based problem so far (I
> accidentally forgot to swap kernels before booting up the second time
> and the symptoms are exactly the same).

Yes, you lost.  My changes did that.  You are the second to hit it.
Your kernel does not have "FEATURES()"  present and the new user space
that came a couple of days later expect it and disable your IPv4
because of that.

The real problem is when people update the kernel, then update world
and then figure out they need to go back to kernel.old.
I'll add an UPDATING entry.

You need an old user land or a new kernel to recover.

>    I have both INET and INET6 built into my kernel and userland, but
> my immediate upstream router only supports IPv4 right now. I tried
> building with WITHOUT_INET6=yes to see if it made a difference, and it
> didn't.
>    I'll test any patches needed to remedy the issue. Thankfully I
> have flash media I can use in the meantime to push code between my two
> boxes :)

Welcome to FreeBSD HEAD, being a developer and not following the rule;-)

Sorry for the hassle though.

Bjoern

         Stop bit received. Insert coin for new address family.