llimport(8): Import lastlog into utmpx

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jun 3 20:58:01 UTC 2011

On 06/03/2011 13:47, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 1:43 PM, Ed Schouten<ed at 80386.nl>  wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I think not long after I replaced utmp with utmpx, I got requests to add
>> utilities to convert the old utmp databases to the new formats. I added
>> wtmpcvt(1) for /var/log/wtmp*, but I didn't add any tools for the other
>> databases. Even though it's a bit overdue (more than one year later?), I
>> think it wouldn't be a bad idea to add a utility to import lastlog for
>> people who are going to upgrade from 7.x/8.x to 9.0.
>>
>> I've written a utility called llimport(8), which imports entries from
>> lastlog into utx.lastlogin for users which do not already have an entry
>> in the latter. I've also added an rc-script, which executes llimport
>> when /var/log/lastlog is present and renames the old database to
>> /var/log/lastlog.old.
>>
>> Any objections if I commit the following patch to HEAD one of these
>> days? I will remove it from HEAD not long after we release 9.0, since an
>> upgrade from 8.x to 10.x should go through 9.x anyway.
>>
>>         http://80386.nl/pub/llimport.txt
>>
>> It would be nice if someone could look at the rc script. I think it
>> should be okay, but it's not a part of the tree I'm familiar with.
>
>      Is this a one time change? If so, wouldn't it make more sense to
> put this into mergemaster(8) instead of rc(5)?

FWIW I'm not enthusiastic about either option. I definitely don't think
an rc.d script is desirable, since it would be run at every boot for
what (if I understand it correctly) is a one-time thing. More or less
the same argument applies to adding this to mergemaster.

In my mind the best way to handle this would be to add it to tools/ and
let users who need it access it that way. But perhaps I'm missing something?

Doug

			-- OK Go