new dialog/libdialog testing

Garrett Cooper gcooper at FreeBSD.org
Wed Feb 9 16:15:07 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 7:28 AM, David Boyd <David.Boyd at insightbb.com> wrote:
> Having some time to test 9.0-CURRENT with the new dialog command has
> uncovered only one major omission (for us): prgbox/dialog_prgbox.
>
> This is used in most (if not all) of our installation/management scripts.
>
> Was prgbox omitted for any particular reason?
>
> I realize that change is inevitable.
>
> Is there a better approach to running a program in a window?
>
> We like many of the new features presented, but are wary of problems down
> the road due to the omission of prgrbox.
>
> I notice that sysinstall uses dialog_prgbox in 8.1-RELEASE.

A good chunk of stuff isn't in the new libdialog. Part of the reason
why is that libodialog is hacked from what it was originally by
various parties and wasn't carried over to the [now supported]
upstream maintainer, or because support for other APIs was deprecated
and abandoned.

That being said, other APIs should easily fill this gap in a more
generic manner. You may have to specify a few more libdialog API calls
to achieve the same result though.

Thanks!
-Garrett