Replacing a failed disk in raidz2 zfs (and gpt)

Thomas E. Spanjaard tgen at deepbone.net
Fri Feb 4 16:03:02 UTC 2011

On 02/03/2011 06:11, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> I can't for the life of me get zpool to replace it. I can't remember why
> I used gpt instead of direct disks for the zmysql pool (but thats how it
> is).

ISTR you had to online a drive first, then issue the replace command.
Also, it could be you used GPT to offset your ZFS partition on a 4
Kibyte boundary, because your drive might be one of those "hey I'm a 4
Kibyte physical sector size drive but I'll claim to have a 512 byte
sector size, both logical and physical, just to annoy you!" drives.
That's why I don't use raw disks for my ZFS drives, anyway.

Cheers,
--
	Thomas E. Spanjaard
	tgen at netphreax.net