Replacing a failed disk in raidz2 zfs (and gpt)

Philip M. Gollucci pgollucci at p6m7g8.com
Thu Feb 3 19:52:56 UTC 2011

Do you have a bug ID ?

Do you have any work arounds?

Will a reboot help ?

On 02/03/11 19:44, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 06:11:34AM +0000, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I have a zroot(mirror)+zmysql(raidz2) setup on a MySQL db box.
>> One drive failed (mfid3).  We've since replaced it.
>>
>> I can't for the life of me get zpool to replace it. I can't remember why
>> I used gpt instead of direct disks for the zmysql pool (but thats how it
>> is).  I've tried all of the following commands with different errors,
>> and I must say I'm stumped.  I've done this several times before for the
>> ASF (but no gpt at play there).
>>
>> $ zpool scrub zmysql
>> just runs, and completes, no error
>>
>> $ zpool replace zmysql gpt/disk3
>> cannot replace gpt/disk3 with gpt/disk3: one or more devices is
>> currently unavailable
> [...]
>> $ zpool offline zmysql gpt/disk3
>> cannot offline gpt/disk3: no valid replicas
>
> I'm afraid this is ZFS bug that is fixed in v28 for sure, not sure
> about v14/v15.

Philip M. Gollucci (pgollucci at p6m7g8.com) c: 703.336.9354
VP Apache Infrastructure; Member, Apache Software Foundation
Committer,                        FreeBSD Foundation
Consultant,                       P6M7G8 Inc.
Sr. System Admin,                 Ridecharge Inc.

Work like you don't need the money,
love like you'll never get hurt,
and dance like nobody's watching.