Replacing a failed disk in raidz2 zfs (and gpt)

Stefan Bethke stb at lassitu.de
Thu Feb 3 10:38:41 UTC 2011

Am 03.02.2011 um 07:11 schrieb Philip M. Gollucci:

> All filesystems are formatted with the current version.
>
> $ hd -v /dev/mfid3p1 | head
> hd: /dev/mfid3p1: Input/output error
>
> $ hd -v /dev/gpt/disk3 | head
> hd: /dev/gpt/disk3: Input/output error

Did you install a partition table on the disk (or otherwise opened it for writing) after you swapped it in?

I can't think of many reasons why you would get an I/O error if the controller is happy with the disk (as the later messages indicate), so I'm speculating that the provider feels it's device has gone; opening mfid3 for writing might trigger a proper GEOM retaste (dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/mfid3).

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke <stb at lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811